Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The skin I'm in.

Rock-climbing.
Gymnastics.
Back-to-back SOAR days.
Wakeboarding.
Lacrosse.
Snowboarding.
Dance parties.
Basketball.
Ballet.
Ragnar.
Cliff jumping.
13-hour serving shifts.

These are just a few of the things my body allows me to do--and I'm sure there's a thousand others we're able to do I haven't even tried yet.
That's why it doesn't make sense to hate on the skin you're in.

My body may not be capable of making a three-point shot, scoring a field goal, or climbing Mt. Everest--but it can do a whole lot. And I'm grateful for it everyday.

Today is National Love Your Body Day.

I think it's time we all took a second and appreciated what we have--instead of focusing on what we don't.
Remember this post?  Still true.
When I was in junior high and high school, I watched multiple friends struggle with various eating disorders--and it wasn't fun.
It's hard to watch someone you care about become completely dissatisfied with themselves and not be able to do a thing about it.
I have four little sisters, and I don't want any of them to have to deal with that.

We live in a very material world; where image is everything and possessions reign supreme.
We spend a lot of time comparing what we have and who we are to other people, and that's not fair.

Society has warped and twisted the way girls see themselves, and I think it's important that we make an effort to change that. 
Not everyone can be super-model tall, with a Barbie's figure, crystal blue eyes and blonde hair. 
Not everyone is a size 0, has perfectly shaped eyebrows, or Angelina Jolie lips. 
Not everyone wears designer clothing, can walk in high heels like a pro, or pull off the latest fashion trends. 
I'm never going to be six feet tall or wear anything labeled "extra small."
I'm never going to rock a leather mini skirt, or have the bright green eyes I long for. 
I don't have perfectly defined cheek bones or a perfect "bikini body."
But that's okay. 
I love the fact that my hair has a crazy kind of curl to it. 
I love that my eyelashes are almost as thick as my little brothers. 
I love that I don't have to wear heels to be average height.
I love that I can run Ragnar and hold my own on a snowboard.
I love the body I have--and everything I'm able to do with it. 

The beauty of being a girl is that you're never going to be exactly the same as somebody else, no matter how hard you try. Accept that. 
Because if we're being honest, it's hard to be happy when someone is being mean to you all the time. 
Become your own biggest fan. 
Learn to love the skin you're in, be nice to yourself & love your body; because it does a lot for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!