Monday, January 11, 2016

Recognize goodness.

Do you ever have those days where a lesson just hits home and seems to be just for you? 
Today was one of those days.
Our lesson today was on President Howard W. Hunter, and talked about how Jesus Christ is the only way to true joy and hope. 
Then we watched this video, and if you haven't watched it yet, you need to. But have some tissues ready. 

"Evil did not win that day." 
That statement hit me and made me look differently at things. 
It's been a weird couple of months. 
I've seen marriages end, watched friends leave the church, cried over the death of family members, and dealt with my own struggles. 
I've watched the news and shuddered at the things happening all over the world that bring people to describe things as evil and terrible. 
The world is a scary place. It's exhausting, terrifying, and stressful. 
The negative things are so much easier to count than the blessings.
It's so easy to get caught up in the evils that surround us and feel overwhelmed with our inability to do something about it. 
This video helped me breathe a little better when I started thinking about these things. 
In the face of such a tragedy, and amidst so much heartbreak, this mother was able to look at the spirit her little girl had brought into the world and recognize the presence of goodness in the world. 
If they could recognize it, why can't we? 
Because if evil didn't win that day, don't let it win today. 
So there's my New Year's resolution. Recognize more goodness. 

[If you want something else to read/watch/listen to, go here]

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!