Tuesday, January 21, 2014

More than words.

I had a freshman student email me last week and ask me a couple of questions about my major. 
Now, as a Literary Studies major, I've become pretty used to the same basic questions. 
...and what exactly does a literary studies major study? 
...are you using that as a kind of "pre-law" degree or something? 
...what exactly are you going to do with a degree in literature? 

And I always answer the same way. 
I get to study books. I read dozens of books each semester, and then talk about those books. Then I read books about the books I'm studying and analyze the books that are analyzing the books we're reading. 
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to law school anytime soon. I don't like school that much!
If I had a dollar for every time someone asked me that question, I wouldn't have to find a job with my degree--but honestly, I don't know. Teach? Write? Who knows. 

But this student didn't ask those questions. He gave me two new questions to answer, because he was interested in the program and wanted to know what I thought. 
1. Why are you studying it? What's in it for you?
2. Why do you love it? 

I tell everyone I love my classes, but I hadn't really ever thought about why. 
So I started thinking. 
Why am I studying it? What's in it for me? Why do I love it?
I love that there isn't any right or wrong answers. Everything is open to interpretation in a million different ways, and it doesn't matter what you think about what you're reading, as long as you're thinking about it. 
I love that you can learn so many different things about different aspects of the world by reading literature from different regions, authors, or time periods. 
I love that there are hundreds of thousands of words in the English language, and no two books tell the same story. 
I love that I can go from crying to laughing to fuming in a single night of homework. 
I love that there is absolutely no math involved. 
I love that I get a life lesson from each assignment: Frankenstein has taught me that monsters do exist, and most of them are human. The Count of Monte Cristo taught me that patience and hope are key to success. Harry Potter taught me that good will always win. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn taught me that doing the right thing is always the right choice, regardless of what society says. Alice in Wonderland taught me that all the best people are a little mad. The Great Gatsby taught me that money isn't everything--and you can't buy happiness. 
I love that words are powerful--and I love that you can get lost in them.
Sometimes, I try to pretend like I'm not the biggest nerd on the planet. But when it comes down to it, I'm more content with my nose in a book than I am anywhere else. 
I'm not studying English because it's going to give me a fabulously high paying job or because it's the most sought after career in the world. I'm studying English because I love it. 
So there you have it, Mr. Freshman boy who wants a new major. Whether you decide English is what you need to do--or even if you choose engineering, or computer science, or botany--find something you love. I did. 

Books are proof that humans can work magic. 

1 comment:

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!