Sunday, May 12, 2013

All I could ask for.

I just want all the mothers in my life to know how thankful I am for all of them. I'm grateful for all of my aunts that have spoiled me and loved me like their own daughter since the second my mom brought me home from the hospital. I'm grateful for the mom's in my ward that have been my primary teachers and YW leaders. I'm grateful for my roommates mom's for giving me the five best friends a girl could ask for, and for giving me such good examples to look up to. I'm grateful for the mom's of the boys I hang out with (especially Bronson, Jackson, Jon, Sam, and Dallin's mothers) for raising the boys I love more than just about anything and for teaching them how to treat girls. I'm grateful for a grandma that was the perfect mom to my mother, and for my Grandma Jo who's stepped in and been an excellent mom and grandma to us since my Grandma passed away.
I'm so grateful for all of them, but I wouldn't be here without my mom (and I'm not just talking literally).
For as long as I can remember, I've heard things like:
"You look just like your mom!" 
"I can never tell you and your mom apart on the phone." 
"You and your mom are so alike."
Things like this used to drive me absolutely crazy. I didn't sound anything like her! I sounded like a 16-year old. Not a mom. I didn't look anything like her! I was blonde. We weren't alike! I can't sing like her. Or invent cake flavors (or cook at all really). We're so different. 
Now though, I can see the truth in those compliments. I do look just like her. I've got her curly hair, and her eyes. Even though I look an awful lot like my dad too, I've definitely got a significant amount of Bell genes. I do sound just like my mom. Not even just literally, but figuratively too. My voice sounds more and more like hers everyday...and sometimes, I find myself saying things I've heard her say. I never knew what people meant when they said "I always said I'd never do [insert some behavior or habit here] like my mom does...but I find myself doing it everyday." I'll fold laundry a certain way or frost a cupcake a different way just because I've watched her do it that way. And we're a lot more similar than I thought we were. I hate making left turns almost as much as she does. We're both incredibly stubborn and independent, but I think we both rely on others more than we admit. We both love music, and I've found that she appreciates my music a lot more than most parents would, and we both get excited when we find a new song. 
I've always had people tell me how lucky I was to have the parents I do, but I think it took moving away from home to fully realize how incredibly lucky I am. 
My mom supports me in EVERYTHING I do. And by everything, I mean every single thing I do. From yet another crazy hair-dye adventure (not many mothers are okay with their daughter coming home with purple hair...then red hair....and then who knows what) to an hour long drive just to grab a snowboard before heading right back. From helping me out with yet another campaign skit to driving out to who knows where to watch a lacrosse game. 

I have yet to make a drive to Logan without getting a call exactly an hour and five minutes after I leave, making sure I was home safe; and she waits up for me the weekends I drive home after a late night shift at work. She makes my favorite meals, and there's always guacamole and orange juice waiting in the fridge when I get home. When I ask, "Should I do [insert crazy, sometimes responsible, and always adventurous thing here]?" the answer is always, "You'd be great at it. Go for it." 
She loves Maroon 5, Sara Bareilles, Kate Voegele, P!nk, and Train almost as much as I do--and she'll even listen to Lady Gaga and Fall Out Boy with me. We're both slightly in love with Josh Groban, Michael Buble, and Alfie Boe--and neither of us are ashamed to admit it. 
My mom answers all of my phone calls--or at least calls back really fast--and answers all my questions.
My mom makes me laugh, and I think this picture proves to everyone where I got my ability to pull some strange faces from. 
She laughs at my jokes, and listens to dozens of new stories every time I come home. Even though she rolls her eyes at me when I say I'm going shopping, yet again, she trusts me enough to dress all my little sisters for family pictures, and doesn't complain about what I wear. [Although she has remarked that the increase of floral pants in my wardrobe is "interesting."] She helps me move in to my apartments, and calls to check on me just when I'm about ready to lose my mind. She cares--enough that I'm not worried about being alone, but not enough to drive me crazy. 
You can tell me over and over how your mom is the best, but I'll kindly disagree. 
I'm so grateful I have a Heavenly Father who loves me enough to give me parents that are as wonderful as mine. I'm so grateful for my mom and all she does for me, and I can honestly say I wouldn't be who I am without her. She's one of my best friends, and I'm so glad people say that I remind them of her. 
If I can be half the woman and mother she is, I'd be the happiest person on the planet. 
Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!