Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Never saw it coming.

This is the motto of Kappa Delta, my newest love and the letters I now wear proudly. 
After a summer of debating, a week of convincing, and a night filled with the "go for it" mindset, I officially made this place my home. 
I never saw myself joining a sorority--we all know the stereotypes involved here. But after associating myself with Utah State's Greek community all summer, I knew I wanted to be involved..but I didn't realize that's what I wanted until I listened to Kappa Delta's purpose and philanthropy. 
As fate would have it, Kappa Delta's philanthropy includes the Girl Scouts, and a program called the Confidence Coalition. This program was founded to help young girls and women develop self confidence and a healthy body image, as well as find healthy, lasting relationships and love themselves and their bodies. 
By working with the local girl scouts and hosting events like Healthy Relationships Week, Kappa Delta works to inspire confidence in girls and women alike. 
I already knew I was passionate about the cause, so I decided I had a decision to make. 
I don't fit the stereotype for a sorority girl. 
I don't wear high heels--in fact, I'm pretty sure it's physically impossible for me to walk in them. 
I don't like Starbucks. 
There are few things on this planet I hate more than Diet Coke. 
BUT. 
Walking into the KD house on Preference night, I knew I'd fit in there. 
We're all different; we're studying different things, going different places, and we're all from different backgrounds. 
But we all have goals, dreams, and plans. We all want to make a difference. We all stand for something. 
KD just gives us a common foundation, a home away from home, and the confidence to stand on our own two feet--backed by dozens of sisters that will stand by us til the end. 
So here's to the green and the pearls...because I'm now a Kappa Delta girl. 

2 comments:

  1. I really love your blog! I'm your newest follower! I especially loved the post about your dad, SO sweet. I'm excited to keep reading!

    madelinewhite11.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I followed your blog last night as well, so cute. Thank you for reading!

      Delete

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!