Monday, March 3, 2014

International Badge Day.

Joining a sorority was never part of my "game plan." 
In fact, when I started college, I had absolutely no idea what a sorority was, or that they were even present on Utah State's campus. 
Even after I began learning about Greek life, I was content to sit on the outside and watch. 
It took a lot of research [and a whole lot of doubting, convincing, and questioning] for me to even consider joining. 
Today though, I'm convinced it was one of the best decisions I've made in college. 
So today, I participated in International Badge Day, along with hundreds of thousands of women across the country. 
Not because of the t-shirts, the tumblers, or the socials--but for the 90 women I have standing behind me in everything I do that make me proud to say I'm a Kappa Delta. 
For the women from other houses that share the same ideals and make me proud to be a part of the Greek community. 
For the girls who have truly become my sisters through their daily advice, support, and love and make me proud to be in the family I'm in. 
But most importantly, for me and the person I want to become, and the letters I wear that make me proud to be myself. 
"People ask why I'm in a sorority, and I try to explain all the things a sorority is that we cannot see. A sorority is more than letters on a sweatshirt. More than a gold pin, rituals, an obligation or a way of life. A sorority is learning about people, a sorority is earning respect from others, as well as yourself. A sorority will not solve all of you problems, but I have made good friends and found confidence there to help me take life one step at a time."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!