Tuesday, November 18, 2014

An awfully big adventure.

You don't really live until you become a part of something that is bigger than who you are. 
Somehow, I got lucky enough to call four wonderful organizations a little piece of "home"--and today I'm grateful for these things that have helped me become the person that I am. 
11. I was born, raised, and am proud to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It wasn't until I moved away from home, and started watching the people I cared most about [second to my family of course] leave for missions that I realized just how important this gospel was to me. The summer after my freshman year, I once referred to as "ground zero" in my journal. I didn't feel like I had a single friend in the world, I was living in a house with 13 strangers [and Lauren & Marley], and the one person I wanted to talk to was 1,500 miles away in Detroit. I cried a lot--and then on one of my drives that typically led me up the canyon, I decided to go to the temple grounds instead. As I sat there and cried and prayed and thought about what on earth I was going to do, I realized that even though I was physically alone, I was never, ever, ever going to be completely alone. I always had someone there for me, and that alone was enough to get me back on my feet and motivate me to step out of my comfort zone a little more than usual. I'm not a perfect Mormon--there isn't such a person. But I try really really hard, and give it my best shot. Because I believe in this gospel, and I love it with all my heart. I'm grateful for Joseph Smith, for Thomas S. Monson, for the priesthood power and worthy priesthood holders in my life, for the scriptures, and most importantly for families and their eternal nature. My biggest dream in life is to walk out of the Salt Lake Temple on the arm of the man I love and get to be with forever to start a family I can teach the beauty and joy of this gospel. So today, I'm grateful for a Heavenly Father who loves me, a Savior who understands every single little aspect of my life, and this gospel to believe in when nothing else makes sense. 
12. To say I'm in love with where I live and go to school would barely skim the surface of how I feel about USU. I love our picturesque little campus, I love the feeling that fills the Spectrum on gamedays, and I even love the sound of the heaters creaking in the ancient Ray B. West building [most days]. I love the people I go to classes with, I love Aggie Ice Cream, and I love nothing more than singing The Scotsman while cheering on my favorite teams. Logan is home--and I'll bleed Aggie Blue til the day I die. 
13. I'm not the "typical sorority girl." I think Diet Coke tastes like old socks, I have yet to go more than 30 seconds with lipstick on my lips, and heels will always be a form of torture. I still don't fully understand the idea behind monogramming my possessions, and I will never be able to take conversations with abbreviated words in them seriously. But if we're being honest, a sorority isn't like the stereotype says it should be. It's more about discovering who you are and building leadership qualities than it is about parties. It's more about philanthropy, networking, and community service than it is about Lilly Pulitzer. And most importantly? It's about joining a group of women who motivate, support, and defend each other because this world is hard. I'm grateful for Kappa Delta and the people it's given to me--and the person it's made me. 
14. If you'd asked me two years ago if I'd be spending a large part of my free time with 45+ fraternity boys, I would have laughed in your face--after I asked what a fraternity was. For once, I couldn't be happier to be wrong. Over the last year and a half, these boys have taught me what it's like to have older brothers; shown me how quickly a group of people can change your life; and given me a couple dozen people to call if I'm ever in trouble. I don't think I'll ever get over how much I love walking into their house to a chorus of "Ash!!!!" and a round of hugs, or be able to listen to them sing to me without giggling from the sheer excitement of it all. They've become my entertainment, my big brothers, and my best friends--and I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have them to love on. 
15. My grandma would have been 62 today--and today I'm grateful for her memory. The holidays are always a little bittersweet without her here, but I'm so grateful for the knowledge I have that my family is forever. I'm grateful for her example of selfless love, endurance, and Christlike service. I'm grateful for the way she raised my mom so that I have the incredible mother I do. I'm grateful for the legacy she left behind--and I'm grateful that she's my grandma. I don't think I'll ever go a day without aching for her--but I'm grateful for the fact that I know I'll get to see her again. Happy Birthday, Grandma; I wish every child in the whole wide world had a grandmother just like you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!