Sunday, June 24, 2012

It's all the same to me.

It's days like today that make a girl think. One of my friends gave his farewell address this morning, and it was just another one of the many surreal experiences that have been happening lately. Watching Blake on the stand, Emi and I just kept looking at each other and saying, "Blake, OH Blake." in some weird voice or another. But as I listened to his talk, and heard his testimony, I couldn't help but be proud to call him a friend. Then, as the (super attractive) RM giving his homecoming address spoke, there was this almost overwhelming feeling that came over me that that is what I want these boys to become. Not that the boys I hang out with now are anything short of amazing, but this kid had matured in ways that aren't possible outside of the mission field. He knew where he was going, and how he was going to get there.
And while it's hard to comprehend sending these boys away for two years, seeing the "finished product," so to speak, makes it all seem worth it in the end.
There's a quote I've seen that says something along the lines of, "missionaries leave their families for two years so that other families can be together for eternity." When you think of it that way, it's hard to not say goodbye. 
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, and ^^^ this little beauty is completely true. Blake's parents were called to serve as mission presidents in Detroit, Michigan, so he moved out there the summer before our junior year--which will be two years this August. (?) Those two years flew by, which gives me some sort of crazy hope that the next 2-3 will go just as fast. I know it's wishful thinking to hope that we'll all be friends and still around by the time these kids all get home, but it's what every girl thinks right as the boys leave. And who knows, it just might work. Blake will be one of the first kids our age to leave, but Trent leaves for Ghana in October, and Matt leaves for Arizona in September---which is so not OK---and while it's weird to think that these are my best friends heading out there, I know it's the right thing for them to be doing. And I couldn't be more proud of them.


In other news, tomorrow, the entire Bell clan is invading Lagoon. And by Bell clan, I mean....
Me, Brittany, Ryan, Emily, Aubrey, Mary, Mom, Dad, Grandpa, Jo, Maddy, Carrie, Clint, Evan, Owen, Amy, Brent, TJ, Brevin, Davis, Ian, Melanie, Dan, Kenzie, James, Breanne, Laura, Zach, Hyrum, Sheron, Branden, Megin, Dallin, Lolly, and Addy.
AND, I'm in a walking boot for my leg. It's going to be an adventure, to say the least. Today, when we were talking about it, I told my aunt Amy that I was going to wear a swimsuit all day because of the water rides. "Ash...there is no way you're getting married in the next year then, just saying." Finally, someone that is on my side.
Park City in four days. Be prepared for pictures, summer flings, and lots and lots of stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!