Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Third time's the charm.

Life has been a tiny bit crazy lately. Between work, and attempting to find another job, and who knows what else, this little baby got sort of neglected. 
Last weekend, I ran my third Ragnar Relay--the Wasatch Back. 200ish miles of running, between 12 people, from Logan to Park City. Sounds fun, right? But really, it's a blast. However, I  would recommend training to those of you who were interested. Because it HURT. 
 This is our team, "The Cat in the Hat Bunch" at the finish line. Our shirts say "Thing [1-12]". We're cool.
My dad sent me a note after finishing, which basically put into words what had been running through my head every year we've done this.

"To many, running a Ragnar is a silly, crazy endeavor - they think it is a waste of time and energy.   We dress up in costumes and have a moving slumber party for 2 days - how stupid.  They think that Ragnar is about running.  Those who have done it know the truth.  That it was somewhere on that road that we came to understand who we are and what we are capable of.  Before we did it the first time, we were afraid we would fail.  We worried that we would ask the hard question of ourselves and be found lacking.  We are now the lucky ones - we know.  We asked the hardest questions - "Am I a quitter?", "Can I do this?"; and we got the answer that we wanted.   We are the ones who know." 

It may sound silly to get sentimental about a 200 mile relay, but it's true. Because of this race, I've been pushed to places I never thought I'd go, and gone harder and farther than I ever would have otherwise. I've climbed impossible mountains, run through terrifying--to me, at least--trails, and kept going even when it seemed like the goal would never be within reach.

I kept going, and I'm no quitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!