Saturday, July 20, 2013

We're in the class A-Team.


When I saw my name on the list of members of the 2013 A-Team, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Of the 42 people, I knew a grand total of one person. I was one of three freshmen, and was so intimidated by some of the people I didn't even know what to do with myself. 










As a freshman, I was sure I was in over my head and was going to suck at advising and helping all the incoming students. I had no idea 
what I was doing....or how awesome this job would be. A-Team isn't a normal summer job. It takes a special kind of passion--or insanity--to work with stressed and frustrated parents for 10 hours a day, eat the same sub sandwiches for a portion of your summer, and let a bunch of incoming students know your most embarrassing moments of college so far. Very few jobs require you to prepare a two hour presentation on dating for 200 students, wear a Walmart-esque uniform day in and day out, or scoop gallons of ice cream every afternoon. Nowhere else could you get some of these people to dance to Sara Bareilles on stage, find so many professional Candy Crush players, or hear the variety of ice breakers we've come up with. No one else understands the true meaning of stub rub, how good it feels to come back to a residence hall where all the students are asleep hours before you thought they would be, or realize how serious we are when we say we never want to eat a chicken caesar salad wrap again. While the early mornings, long days, and angry parents made me question my sanity at points...the  ridiculously late nights, burrito runs, and dance parties made up for the craziness. We're all very different people; we have different likes and dislikes, different passions and fears. We're from different backgrounds, cities, and states. We all want to do different things with our lives, and go in different directions. Despite our differences, we work. We love Logan, we love that we can call ourselves Aggies, and we love Utah State. I don't know how many of you can honestly say you love your job, but I can. It's as rewarding as it is exhausting, and as tiring as it is exciting. We've finished our semester of training, and SOAR wrapped up today. In the last seven months, these 42 coworkers of mine have changed how I feel about school, broken me out of my comfort zone more times than I can count, made me love USU more than I already did, and become some of my very best friends--and I'm so glad I get to work with this bunch of crazies every day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!