Monday, February 3, 2014

Some people's children.

A little while ago, an old friend acquaintance said some things that really upset me. 
It was one of those comments that's usually said in the heat of the moment, or behind a back...and the fact that it was so outright stung. 
The kind of comment that catches you off guard and makes you regret telling a person anything of importance in your life, for the sole reason that they now had ammunition that would hurt. 

In that moment, I started questioning different aspects of my life--wondering if everybody saw them the way that person did. 
If they thought it, everyone could be thinking it.....right? 

And then I realized that ^^^^ was wrong. 
It didn't matter what they thought, all that mattered was what I thought. 
It was my decisions, my life, my choices in question; and their opinion was just that: an opinion. 
I let one person upset me for a hot minute, and I forgot to look around at the people who weren't upsetting me. 
I was so caught up in being offended that I forgot to appreciate the nice people in my life: 
Like Wolfie bringing me a Dr. Pepper randomly. 
Or Hillary showing up with a mini migraine survival kit. 
Or Adrienne's celebratory cookie. 
Or lunch with Ashley.
Or Judy making sure I knew she had my back. 
Or my dad worrying about my headlight and taxes. 
Or my little sister going on a run with me. 

People aren't always nice--and sometimes they're really good at making you feel awful. 
But ultimately, people are really, really, really good. You just have to surround yourself with the right ones. 

2 comments:

  1. I've always been proud to be your friend and have been SO blessed to have you in my life! No matter how bad the day is, know you have me (and a million others) cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud of the fact that instead of stooping to that level and responding in kind, you chose to step away and gain perspective. You DO have some amazing people and if life has taught you nothing else...hopefully it has taught you that people who waste their breath saying not so very nice things and passing judgement on others are basically just miserable people looking to make others as unhappy as they are. Their poison hurts the vessel more than anything else. You have great friends....and a family who treasures you. So glad you know that. Love, Your mother. P.S. Bring those amazing friends home again.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!