Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Double or nothing.

Surreal. That was really the only way to describe how today felt. As I waited in line to turn into the north end this morning, grumbling as usual about the line of cars that were running behind like me, I couldn't help but think of everything that the last three years have taught me. Pulling into my parking spot, I watched as the lot filled up around me and laughed as the car next to me struggled to park straight--again. Walking in through the theaters, my nose filled with the distinct smell of the art classrooms and just north end in general, and the immediate lack of wi-fi frustrated my instagram addiction. I made my way to the commons, and took my place by the ramp to wait for everybody. Turning around slowly, I watched as the commons filled, and then the halls, and the main stairs became more and more crowded. My friends walked up and started conversations as usual, but my participation in these chats was limited by the ever present, "this is the last time we'll be doing this," thought in the back of my head. The bell rang, and there was almost a collective deep breath as we embarked on our final last day of school. Pushing my way through the main stairs like I have every day for the last three years, and veering around the corner to Dave's room, flash backs of the first time we walked in there flooded my brain. Sophomores, scared of school in general, and a foreign language wasn't helping anything. Now? That room is comfortable. Our corner is defined, and the sophomores are scared of us. Yelling "BYE DAVE" at the top of our lungs for the last time was almost irritatingly depressing, and eerily bizarre. During advisory, the pep rally in the main gym offered the perfect vantage point for us to watch almost all of the 2,400 kids at Davis High file in to congratulate our teams one last time. The awards were given, and the school song was sung. The cheer leaders did a dance we could all do in our sleep by now, and we yelled our "D," "H," "S's" louder than we ever had before, giving it all we had, because it was the last chance we had to give. The weirdest part of the day though? D-TV for the last time. Not only has that class in general changed my life, but our adviser completely altered the path I want to take in school and made me love things I never would have before. We watched our traditional parodies, and then sat down to listen to Terri read "Oh the Places You'll Go" for the last time. Terri doesn't cry, but at the line, "Kid, you'll move mountains." She looked around at all of us, and was almost there. I've devoted 16 class periods, countless hours, and way too much of my energy to that program. I even gave up prom last year for it. But when the juniors stood up to say thank you, I'm pretty sure that's when it hit me that we were done there. Us girls are all babies, and Sammy made us all cry. But the worst part was walking out of that room, a place where I have basically lived for the last three years (like ate all three meals there multiple times, gotten ready for games and assemblies, scrambled to finish homework, and slept on the floor way too many times lived) and saying, "peace out kids, good luck next year." It took more than a few deep breaths for me to come to terms with the fact that I'm done there, and there's no turning back. Our last sign off was weeks ago, but it didn't really register until today that I'm not part of that anymore. Signing yearbooks while the committees ran the BBQ was a little bizarre too, as we've run that thing for the last two years. Just another realization that we're done, and it's somebody elses turn to take charge. I'll be graduated in less than 48 hours, and will no longer be a part of Davis High. But right now, I can say for certain that it is definitely a great day to be a Dart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!