Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I told you I would, so I did.

As I mentioned earlier, this month is full of a whole bunch of "lasts." And really, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Maddy and I anchored our last D-TV broadcast last week, and I couldn't keep a straight face to save my life. Because the whole time we were filming, I couldn't get the mental picture of me anchoring for the first time out of my head. I was terrified to look at that little red dot on the camera, and know that the entire student body was going to see my face. Now? We fight, literally, for those anchor slots.
Then today, we filmed the senior sign-off. D-TV always signs of with the anchors names, and "and this...is D-TV." We've made more jokes about those three words, and said it any more accents than I care to count. It's ridiculous really. Back to the point. Today, we filmed every senior on staff putting in their last "I'm so-and-so," and crowded in front of the green screen for the last "...is D-TV."
Sitting on the arms of Braxton's chair, with Matt and Emi's arms around my shoulders, Maddy on Braxton's other side, and the rest of the staff crammed in behind us, we more more united in that split second than we ever have been before. Why?
You don't devote 3 years and 8 class periods to a class if you don't care. You don't stay at the school until 9 p.m. the night of the Homecoming football game if you don't want to make a deadline. You don't miss your junior prom for a journalism convention unless you want to win. And most importantly, you don't put your heart into something unless you are truly passionate about it. We know what we're doing. And we do it well.
In the grand scheme of things, D-TV is just another silly class, with just another bunch of kids, and another teacher that influenced me. But right now? It's a central part of our lives, Terri's room is a place we go to play, rather than work, and those cameras are our friends now.
I'm going to miss that room, and it will be harder than I want to admit to let someone else take over next year.
There aren't many kids can say they got to take first in newspaper design at the state competition, report in the 7th best student broadcast in the nation, or design one of the best newspapers in the country.

But I can.

Because this girl? Is part of D-TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!