Wednesday, February 13, 2013

You don't understand.

Sometimes, you meet someone, and you just click.
You like the same music, have the same fears, and do the same things. 
You'd go to the ends of the earth to help them, and you know they'd do the same for you. 
Heart to hearts until 4 am just don't seem to be long enough to cover everything, and the inside jokes would take years to compile. 
Meet Hailee [Jane] Henson. 
Morgan started working at a dry cleaning place, and would not stop talking about how I was just like this girl that she worked with. We both loved Jimmy Eat World, had a passionate hatred for cancer, and were slightly obsessed with the word "hope." 
Fast forward eight months, and I finally got to meet her in person, and we clicked.
She became my confidante, my volunteer buddy, and my listening ear. We saw each other once every couple of months, and mainly just stalked each other's FB profiles and blogs. 
Right before senior year started, Emi and I started hanging out with her more and more...until we hardly went a day without doing something. 
Some reality show characters once identified their best friends with the phrase "my person." And that's exactly what Hailee is. 
She's the one I call at two am when I have a migraine and can't sleep, or something dramatic happens that only she will understand, or when I found a great YouTube video. She understands how much I despise cancer, because she empathizes with the hurt it causes on those affected. She gets my weird obsession with fonts, and is the only one who doesn't think it's bizarre that both of us can identify a majority of the fonts used not only by name, but by size and tell you what kerning was used. She shares my love of Katy Perry, Jimmy Eat World, Fall Out Boy, and Jason Lancaster. She's the only person I know who frequently drives an hour and a half out of her way just to check on her two best friends, and drive home the same night--because she knew we just needed to talk. She's the first person I ask for advice from (second only to my parents) and will listen to me complain for hours...and then talk me out of my rants before I go crazy. 
She's my older sister-she puts me in my place when I mess up.
She's my confidante-she knows everything about me, and I'd trust her with anything. 
She's one of my best friends-she's one of very few people who can take me from laughing to crying and back again in minutes. 
She's my person-she's all of those things, and then some. 
This girl leaves for the MTC on the 20th, and the people of France have no idea what's coming their way. She's got a testimony and a heart that are going to change so many lives, and a love of this gospel that will inspire hope in so many. Even though I'm tired of saying goodbye and I know that the next 18-24 months are going to be some of the longest of my life...I'm okay with it. I'm so proud of them, and today, so proud of Hai.
Bonne chance, Souer Henson. L'amour le plus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!