Thursday, November 8, 2012

Been there, done that.

November 8th: Today, I'm grateful for all the clubs, teams, and groups I've been a part of over the last few years. I did a lot in high school, and sometimes it was a little overwhelming. But I wouldn't do it any other way if I could do it again. The people I met, the stuff we did, and all the things I learned have helped me become who I am right now, and shaped who I will be in the future.
First off, there's D-TV. [Yes, I am aware this is a picture from junior year. Deal with it.] Working with these kids for three years was the best decision I made in high school. We may not have gotten along all the time--we were lucky if we made it through a single day without hurt feelings--but I learned more from this class than just about anywhere else. We didn't place as high as we did in our competitions by sheer, dumb luck. We worked hard for those spots, racing to meet deadlines and spending hours in the back room after everyone had gone home taught me more about hard work than I'll ever learn anywhere else. Now, I'm done with journalism and such for the time being and I miss it more than I can say,  but I will always be grateful for the chance to work on such an incredible team.
Second, there's Davis' seminary council. As much as I hated waking up at the crack of dawn every Tuesday when I could have been sleeping in, I'm so glad I did. Working with the 10 other kids on council, as well as Brother Burton and Brother Barrus was the best thing to happen to my testimony so far. Coming up with ideas to help the seminary kids and planning all sorts of activities was a hassle most of the time, but the testimonies we got to watch develop and the friends we saw being made was worth every second. Now these kids are all over at school and Jace is on his mission, and I rarely see anyone but Jeni and Chloe. But I will forever be grateful for these guys and the influence they had on me and my testimony. 

 Lacrosse was a spur of the moment decision junior year, but it was so much fun. Playing the world's most random sport with some of the best girls at Davis was the highlight of my junior and senior year. Junior year's team was fun, but senior year was even better--I had all of my junior friends and my little sister on the team with me, and I got to play my aunt too. As hard as it is to find time for two hour practices, multiple games a week, and conditioning on Fridays, it was worth every second, every sore muscle, and every bruise.

Last, but definitely not least, are my South Bench girls. Having 10+ girls my age in my ward is definitely the best way to grow up. Girls Camp is always a party, and you have built in friends no matter where you go. Even though they're all only a year--and barely a year at that--younger than I am, they'll always be the baby bees. I miss Sunday school and young women's with all of them and Christie, Ann and Cyd every single Sunday. YSA wards just aren't the same, and daily snap chat conversations with Megan just don't cut it. I'm so glad I grew up in a ward where everyone is so close and us girls basically grew up as sisters. I'm so grateful for all of these crazy girls, and for the fact that I know we'll always be friends. Thanks, kiddos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear what you think about what I have to say. Thanks for stopping by!